Date: 28th April 2006 at 7:30pm
Written by:

It was with great sadness that Vital Wolves discovered fans favourite George Ndah has chosen to retire.

George was signed from Swindon in 1999 for £1million, but has seen his Wolves career blighted by injuries, averaging just 14 games a year.

In total, he made 92 first team appearances (40 as a substitute) and he scored 19 goals for the club and never gave anything less than 100%.

On his day, George was an electric forward, and if for nothing else, he will always be remembered for scoring the winner against Newcastle United in the FA Cup 3rd round back in January 2003.

His last game in Old Gold and Black was for the reserves against Aston Villa earlier this month, and fittingly, he scored in the 3-1 defeat.

Things never went right for George after breaking his leg in only his third Wanderers appearance in first season with us.

He returned in the autumn of 2000, scoring 6 goals that season, but again, injuries denied him a stasting place for almost the entire next season where he made one start, and 14 as sub, scoring one goal.

2002-3 was his most prolific period, where he made 22 starts with 8 as sub, scoring 11 goals, including the winner against Newcastle United.

But just as Wolves fans started to see the best of him, disaster struck once again when he pulled up with a knee injury during the play-off first leg against Reading, which required surgery and extensive rehabilitation at The Centre Of Excellence, Lilleshall forcing him to miss the whole of Wolves Premiership season.

After signing a 12 month extension to his contract, George played his first game for over a year on Wolves pre season tour of Norway, but succumbed once again to a series of muscle tears, wrecking his hopes of an extended run in the first team.

Upon taking permanent control of Wolves just before the current campaign Glenn Hoddle offered George a pay-as-you-play contract and at the time commented that even at at 80% fit he was terrifying defenders.

He made his first League appearance in over two years when he came on as a substitute to a standing ovation in Wolves’ win over Crystal Palace in the first home game of the campaign, and scored in the 3-0 away win against Derby.

His last first team appearance was against Sheffield Wednesday, where not for the first time he was kicked out of the game by a defender unable to deal with his pace, leaving the field on a stretcher.

Vital Wolves was lucky enough to talk to George after the first game of the season away at Southampton.

We couldnt help but be lifted by his enthusiasm and laughter, that will now be greatly missed.

All the best for the future George, and keep smiling.

You’ll never be short of a friend at The Molineux, even if we will now be short of your vigour.