Date: 3rd March 2007 at 6:40pm
Written by:

Wolverhampton Wanderers unlikely promotion charge continued today, coming back from 2-1 down to beat Mike Newell`s league strugglers at Kenilworth Stadium.

A speculative second half 25 yard strike from captain Karl Henry sealed the points, and gave Wolves their fifth straight win in this most remarkable of seasons.

Wolves made their intentions clear in the first five minutes when a long range Seyi George Olofonjana strike rattled the woodwork, and they took a deserved lead on 10 minutes.

Following a foul on the impressive Michael McIndoe, returning to his former club for the first time, wing wonder Michael Kightly whipped in a free kick that may have been touched by Gary Breen, may have glanced off a defender, and may have gone in direct, but the result was all the same, Wolves had their nose in front.

Shortly after a Stephen Ward strike drew a fine save out of the so far impressive Luton ‘keeper, which heralded a Luton fight back. Culminating in a deserved equaliser.

On 21 minutes a hopeful Lewis Emanuel 35 yard strike took a deflection, and ordinarily would have been bread and butter to the leagues top rated ‘keeper, but on this day, Matt Murray could only watch as the ball found the back of the net.

Luton pressed on as Wolves took their foot off the pedal and has been the case so many times before, were punished within touching distance of the break.

Following a slew of Luton balls into the Wolves penalty area, Leon Barnett`s backward header from an in swinging David Bell corner once again beat Matt Murray and Mike Newell`s beleaguered side headed in at half time a goal to the good.

Whatever it was Mick McCarthy said to his side during the interval;, it had the desired effect as Wolves came out of the blocks for the second half the brighter of the two teams.

It took just 7 minutes for Wolves to draw level.

Martin Beresford`s day was rapidly going downhill when he spilled a 20 yard Stephen Ward effort, and Andy Keogh showed great awareness to stab the ball home ahead of the attendant Luton defenders, and open his Wolves account.

Wolves took the game by the scruff of the neck, and wit Michael Kightly terrifying the Luton defence, regained their lead on 67 minutes.

35 yards out, Karl Henry, back in his usual midfield role beat Matthew Spring to a loose ball and aimed a well struck shot at goal that Marlon Beresford somehow managed to contrive to let under his body and the Wolves comeback was complete.

It could have been more. Jay Bothroyd, on for the injured Ward, a victim of a horrendous challenge worthy of a red card sent a header over the bar from 6 yards, but it wasn`t a day for pointing the finger at missed chances.

Wolves secured their fifth straight win; a feat not achieved since the 200/1 season thanks to a spirited fight back, and a solid team effort and propelled themselves back into the top 6, sending out a clear message to the other promotion hopefuls.

They`re not there just to make up the numbers. Wound them, and they will come back fighting. This is the McCarthy era, and Wolves once again, have some bite

Mick McCarthy on goalkeeping errors
‘ It wasn’t a god end for ‘keepers was it? Matty thought he should’ve had the first one, and their keeper thinks the same about Karl’s, but if you dont shoot, you dont score.’

McCarthy on the upcoming derby.
‘It certainly makes Sunday interesting doesnt it?’