Date: 16th August 2007 at 10:19am
Written by:

Wolves moved into the second round of the Carling Cup thanks to a debut goal from striker Freddy Eastwood, and a stunning 25 yard volley from Jody Craddock.

Both goals came in a four minute spurt at the start of the second half, and despite Bradford pulling a goal back in the last 15 minutes and a few nervy moments, Wolves ran out 2-1 winners.

Mick McCarthy chose to ring the changes for the cup encounter, giving new boy Freddy Eastwood his full debut, as well as Elliot Bennett, Graham Stack and McCarthy’s latest aquisition, defender Kevin Foley.

Wolves started brightly and Elliot Bennett playing on the right showed glimpses of the potential that has earned him high praise from the Wolves Youth Academy, and in earning a yellow card for a foul on Darren Williams showed why perhaps manager McCarthy chose the Carling Cup not the Championship to blood him.

On the half hour, the injury plagued Charlie Mulgrew was withdrawn, replaced by Jamie Clapham, and with Wolves now carving out the clearer opportunities, there were chances for Eastwood, Keogh and Potter, although it was Bradford who rattled the woodwork as the half drew to a close thanks to a Paul Evans freekick.

For the second half Mick McCarthy withdrew Elliot Bennet in favour of Stephen Elliot whos impact was immediate.

His cross from the left in the half’s opening minute was flicked on by Andy Keogh to Freddy Eastwood whose backwards header evaded the clutching fingures of Donovan Ricketts to open Eastwoods Wolves account.

Minutes later Jody Craddock extended Wolves lead with an early contender for Goal Of The Season.

A quickly taken short corner caught Bradford unawares, and Michael Kightly’s cross could only be headed clear to the edge of the penalty area.

The ball fell to the oncoming Jody Craddock whose right foot volley flew into the top corner of the Bradford net before Ricketts had a chance to move.

Ricketts then denied Michael Kightly, and Andy Keogh in quick succession, turning Keogh’s low shot just past the post after being put through by skipper Karl Henry as Wolves looked to kill Bradford off.

But it was Bradford who found the net when a blocked Guylain Ndumba-Nsunga shot fell to Kyle Nix who made no mistake from 6 yards.

Ndumba-Unsunga came close to eqalising in eth closing minutes, sending a header narrowly wide as Wolves closed out the game in jittery fashion to earn Mick McCarthy his first win of the season and a place in the second round.